I’m excited to report that the Haiti Relief Art Project is moving forward, and greeting cards will be printed by this Friday. A close friend is joining me on the project, and together we will send out packages of blank cards in time for the holidays to everyone who donated $25 or more, recently or last spring. We chose three designs for now; two by Haitian artists, and one by me. We also have a few left of the first round of journals. If you’d like a set of cards or a journal (see the attached photo), please e-mail your address to email@example.com. You can still donate through my website, magicandchocolate.net, or by sending a check. Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to send a check.
So far I’ve raised enough money to cover transportation costs, thanks to a $500 grant from Rainbow Grocery Cooperative, a discount on plane tickets from Loretta, and the people who donated or bought raffle tickets so far. I’ve also received $1700 worth of wheat/barley grass superfood powder from Amazing Grass to bring to the volunteers, and energy bars from Pemmican/Bear Valley, Noble Foods (ReBars), and Sequel Naturals (Vega Whole Food Vibrancy bars).
I still need to raise quite a bit more to cover printing, supplies, and other travel expenses.
Will you buy a raffle ticket? They’re only $10.
The raffle will be in February, so there’s still plenty of time to buy tickets (although you need to do it sooner if you want the cards for the holidays). You don’t need to be present to win. I’d like to buy more supplies from the All Hands Wish List, since next year the entire project will be turned over to Haitian volunteers and staff, with only a handful of international support people and advisers. That means they won’t have the influx of internationals bringing supplies that can’t be found or are too expensive in Haiti. And I’d like to research the “inspiration pages” for the next round of journals while I’m in Haiti, and be able to print them when I return.
Thank you so much to everyone who is making this possible!
And here are the details about the raffle:
· We’ll be raffling art and crafts from some of the many talented Haitian artisans in the Léogâne area, as well as donated items from supporters in San Francisco.
· Raffle tickets are $10 each. $25 gets you 3 tickets, $50 buys 7, $100 = 15 tickets, $500 gets you lots of tickets, lots of gratitude, and something special from Haiti. If you need it to be tax deductible I might be able to arrange that.
· You don’t have to be present at the raffle to win.
· Everyone who buys tickets before I leave for Haiti gets a free one.
· Everyone who shows up at the February slideshow gets a free ticket, because games are more fun when everyone gets to play. My slideshows are always free.
· Let me know if you can donate an item for the raffle.
· You can buy tickets by going to magicandchocolate.net, and clicking the “Donate” button at the bottom of the first section on the home page. Or email me and I’ll give you an address to send a check. You can also go to PayPal.com, click “Send money,” then “Send Money Online.” Follow the instructions and be sure to click “Friends and Family” so they don’t charge fees. Enter this email address on the second page: email@example.com.
Much love and gratitude to you all,
- Haiti, March 2011
- Haiti, December 2011